Sunday, December 5, 2010

Email to PM Gillard

5/12/10

Dear Prime Minister Gillard

With respect I am deeply disturbed by Mr McClelland’s efforts to devise legal actions against Mr Assange, and your recent statement(s) that the leaking of alleged classified information (WikiLeaks) was a “grossly irresponsible thing to do and an illegal thing to do" (SMH, 2010).

As an Australian citizen myself, I am deeply concerned for Mr. Assange’s well-being and safety.  Regardless of what may be construed of Mr. Assange’ conduct he is foremost a national and as far as I know entitled to rights and protections afforded by Australia.

Australians place extreme value on our human rights record and protections as you well know. Perhaps I may have misunderstood, but in democracy we elect leaders and governments to put us first, to look after our survival and interests, diverse as they be, above and beyond the reaches of other nation states.

This is what we negotiate for, what we demand from our government in exchange for our loyalty and taxes. Alarm bells should ring when governments fail to defend their citizens.

Whatever may be said of US democracy a US citizen is under no misapprehension their government will ceaselessly strive to secure their sacrosanct freedoms should they be held in harms way in Iran and North Korea of all places. Retrieving fallen soldiers, leaving no one behind and defending their liberties in overseas situations are only some of the assurances the US government performs for their population. 

It still shames me to recall how our government behaved and treated Mr. Habib and Mr. Hicks. I hope I never forget how cruelly John Howard ignored them in their hours of unpardonable torture. With every catastrophe we need to be constantly reminded of the horrors, where we strayed, how easily we lost ourselves. I say ourselves because we are all Australians, together. The bombing of innocent Australians in Bali, demonstrates the notion that we as a whole bear the pain and suffering as a nation. What is done to one is done to all. I know empathy moves me when I try to imagine what they did to Mr. Habib and Mr. Hicks.  How could we have abandoned them?

This same country that now openly and proudly admits to torturing (water boarding) alleged terrorists is by their own judicial enquire adamant that they, the perpetrators of said abuse, are unaccountable to Geneva conventions and international war crimes courts. Condescension. Under the circumstances they are behaving rationally, protecting their interests. But this feels very wrong. Of course my suspicion levels are raised and my faith in democracy is disturbed.

I for one find justification based on the argument that national security is greater than individual security has little credibility. WMD, indeed! The number of lies our governments tell us and each other and this business of information classified off limits? One would think governments and their subalterns were laws unto themselves by the manner in which they patronize their subjects. The boy who cried wolf is all too familiar a story that I am often struck when an official begins a sentence, ‘In the interest of national security … blah, blah, (you know the spiel). I often wonder if they actually think I am that gullible.

Really, are we to trust implicitly in our governments? At what point does asking difficult questions and expecting truthful answers constitute treason? Is it illegal, for me to support human rights, for example?

Naturally, I am troubled when my trust in democracy and my government is conditioned by the principle of faith. So far I have been unimpressed with our record on climate reform, national security, and health reform to name a few. But aside from that what concerns me most, enough for me to spend hours composing this letter (not believing it will ever be read by you), is the point about Mr. Assange, our fellow Australian.

Please don’t take offense when I say that Mr. McClelland and you appear blatantly fawning to our US friends, and while you both and others seem quite prepared to throw our own to the wolves (metaphorically speaking) what is the gain if at the end of the day I lose confidence in my government to look after my family? 

If I can think this way then there are certainly others who will draw the same conclusion.

Additionally, how can I ignore habeas corpus when I know it was paid for with blood? It also happens to be an outstanding writ.

As there are real consequences to this farrago over WikiLeaks, and given that I suspect the motives of governments, does it not appear responsible to judge for myself whether or not the leaked information is important? Rather than put my head in the sand does it make me unAustralian to want access to information, which might affect my family, my world. What is my government so afraid of me knowing?

I believe it makes sense, and this is why I am so deeply affected when you uttered the words ‘grossly irresponsible’ and ‘illegal’ in the context of information that is alleged classified. I believe that analyzing and deconstructing the leaked information is a responsible act, surely a rational one, a strategy for survival. Many people will argue that WikiLeaks by circulating the documents was grossly responsible. I personally accept this interpretation.

In the background I hear Mr. McClelland scurrying to root out anything illegal he can nail Mr. Assange with. He like, Mr. Andrews appears to getting ahead of himself. But one thing for Mr. Andrews is his loyalty to Australia. It, at least, seemed genuine (despite his amnesia) whereas Mr. McClelland’s priorities, taken that he is Australia’s Attorney General, he seems rather obliging to the Americans and compliantly Amazonian and patently remiss of his paid duties to Australian citizens.

In closing, I am so unfazed by hyperbole, especially the fear mongering over WikiLeaks. Democracy isn’t likely to be toppled by openness and dialogue. Secrecy, however, is demonstrably poisonous and I imagine it is the real threat to reform.

People, I believe are desperate for strong leaders to sort out difficult problems. Conversely, leaders need support from their citizens to make significant advances, and that can only happen smoothly when people have trust in governments.

You will have your view on Mr. Assange. But in my view he has been open and responsible with the leaks. While his life is under undeniable threat I hope you reconsider and offer him a safe haven. To me Julian Assange is a very courageous person and I am proud to call him an Australian. It is my hope that you recognize his rights and give him protection.


Sincerely
Downunder the Weather


“WikiLeaks acting illegally, says Gillard.” smh.com.au.  2 Dec. 2010. http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/wikileaks-acting-illegally-says-gillard-20101202-18hb9.htmlgive

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting your letter, catcher :)

    ReplyDelete