Saturday, September 4, 2010

Water, the most precious of all.



One hesitates to begin with, “I don’t want to sound alarmist, but…” But I will. No self-control, I wager. “Shout, shout” I order myself!  “Before the Siren’s exact their charm.”

If this is ever a “for the whom the bell tolls” moment this surely must be our wake up clang. For an international corporate coup d’état of Australian waterways is well upon us. If I hadn’t stumbled on this news article in the paper today I might have missed it altogether. Is it true? Are we so desperate that we have to sell our most precious birthright on the stock exchange?

Why? How is this possible that we failed to notice it happening? Who made it happen? Why do I feel angry?

This is no contest. Water is the most precious resource of all. Every living thing on this earth depends on it to survive. Tell me, what good should be more sacrosanct than public access to clean water and air?

How dare we disregard Bolivia’s story? At our peril, don’t begin to tell me it will never happen here. It is and it will escalate as long as we continue to remain naive and apathetic to our own highly publicised dry-bone continental supply. It just isn’t smart to trust that our governments are looking after our welfare when we have evidence, as this article demonstrates, to the contrary.

It is unfathomable to imagine we could simply surrender our most essential life-preserving constituent to overseas stakeholders. At its rudiment form corporations are cold-blooded abattoirs competing for earnings. For them profit is the only moral. If you don’t believe me do your own research, how they treat third world nations. Tell me, if you are not mortified by their exploitation and callousness for others. Look past the feigned rhetoric to their actions where greater truths are sure to be found in their alliances and conduct.

Water is too vital to claim ownership rights. It really belongs to no one or no thing. But since human kind insists on fingering every pie it can imagine we must ensure that it is shared at least fairly among all living things, entrusting with respect to scrutiny and rational courage.

References to Bolivia


The Main Story

No comments:

Post a Comment