Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Avatar - the movie

I didn't expect this flick to be as good as it was. It blue me away.

If you haven't seen it do yourself a favour and watch the 3D version. It is wild!

Somewhere amid Marines's hyper machoesterone and yanks running the universe (again) is a compelling story that reminds us of the real woe still being inflicted on aboriginal communities and rich ecosystems the world over. I could not help but equate the film's narrative to that of the American Indians, so strong were the allusions. While the Navi's survived against all odds the Indians did not fare so well. Undoubtedly, the aboriginal people are a wroughten people and it is inconceivable that they could or will ever prevail over their conqueror.

In fairness, it seems to me all civilisations eventually perish by means of state-of-the-art swordery, and of course by the sheer madness of greed.

No civilisation yet has proven everlasting. I'm not sure what message will be taken from this film. Either it is survival of the greediest or pure heroics that will take the day. I know which world I would rather live in and which one I will live and probably die for despite my impression that nothing in the same state lasts forever. Perhaps change is all there is and was and all we can hope for.

Quite seriously, how are we ever going to end these bastards?


MOVIE-AVATAR


No comments:

Post a Comment